Australian Citizenship is a process in which a non-Australian citizen voluntarily becomes an Australian citizen. Australian citizens pledge their loyalty to Australia and its people and are then entitled to its protection and to exercise their rights and responsibilities as citizens.
The Australian Citizenship Act 2007 defines who is, who can become, and who ceases to be an Australian citizen.
Australian citizenship can be acquired automatically:
- Adoption in Australia
- Historical transitional arrangements
- Abandonment as a child
- Incorporation of a Territory
or by application:
- Adoptions are done in accordance with the Hague Convention on intercountry Adoption or bilateral arrangements
Most people who acquire Australian citizenship do so automatically however, most of those who do it by application do it under the conferral pathway.
Key Eligibility requirements
Conferral pathway (general eligibility)
- You must be 18 years or over at the time of application.
- You must be a Permanent Resident.
- You must satisfy the Residence requirement. This is having been lawfully present in Australia for a period of four years immediately prior to making your application, including the last 12 months as a permanent resident.
- You must pass the Citizenship test.
- You must have basic knowledge of the English language (satisfied by the successful completion of the Citizenship test).
- You must have adequate knowledge of Australia and of the responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship (satisfied by the successful completion of the Citizenship test).
- You must meet character requirements.
Other Related Visas
Need immigration assistance? No problem.
We can help you achieve your migration goals.
We are Registered Migration Agents providing honest and transparent advice in relation to Australia's visa program.
It is a search engine based on the ANZSCO catalogue that combines all federal and State/Territory skilled occupation lists in one single place.
We also provide useful information for Australia's visa program.
Anzscosearch data draws on information directly provided by third-party official websites and is thus as accurate as of the information on those websites.
Anzscosearch validation and verification processes ensure that all data published is as complete, accurate and reliable as possible.
We have been doing this since 2014.